If you are here looking for vegan laundry detergent, I just want to say, you are amazing. And I also want to say, because I think you probably need to hear this, breath and make sure to slow down and relax.
Going down the rabbit hole of veganism can be a crazy ride. I never realized how many things we make with animals. But, chances are no matter how hard we try we can’t remove all animal products from our lives.
Eliminating animals from our diet is going to be one of the biggest impacts you can have with your purchasing power. I truly believe, as we stop eating so many animal products, less will be used in products such as laundry detergent.
Why Isn’t Laundry Detergent Vegan?
Like, what the heck do they need in laundry detergent that would require animals or are these products just tested on animals?
According to Veganissimo A to Z, some laundry detergents may also contain enzymes obtained from organs of killed animals. For example, lipase derived from the pancreas of animals (usually pigs) is added to many laundry detergents in order to improve the cleansing effect in soap production.https://ethicalelephant.com/cruelty-free-vegan-laundry-detergent/
Depending how far down the rabbit hole you want to go in protecting your health, the environment and the animals, you want to keep in mind that any products you use in the laundry are eventually going to make their way into lakes and streams.
So, another you will want to avoid is phosphates. These can be harmful when they act as fertilizer, which chokes off rivers and lakes, while suffocating aquatic life such as salmon. They can also release chemicals into the water that cuts off its oxygen.
What you want to do is look for laundry detergents that are non-toxic and 100% biodegradable.
Things You WON’T BELIEVE Contain Animal Products
Love Home and Planet Concentrated Laundry Detergent Rose Petal & Murumuru
- 🌱 [plant based cleansers] formulation made with 94% plant-based cleansers. A little GOES A LONG way with our concentrated laundry detergent which comes in 40 oz bottles containing 53 loads. Concentrated detergents require less water to make and less shelf space, and contain more cleaning goodness in each drop to go around.
- 👚 [Care for your clothes] our concentrated formula is so Smart, it detects the type of stain it encounters to cleanse effectively yet gently to leave clothes clean, and maintain their vibrancy & Color. Works in all temperatures and is safe for both HE and standard washing machines. Don’t forget to look at the label for care instructions!
- 🙌🏼 [Derm tested] Dermatologist tested & Formulated without parabens, dyes, phosphates and optical brighteners.
- 💜 [calming fragrant scent] blended with luxurious Moroccan Argan Oil and infused with the calming scent of ethically-sourced French heirloom Lavender to whisk you away to a feeling of serenity on laundry day.
- 🌎 [Love for the Planet] packed in bottles made with 100% recycled plastic & recyclable.
- 🐰 [Vegan & not tested on animals] Certified vegan & cruelty-free by PETA
- 💜 [Small acts of love] We are committed to small acts of love that make you, your home and our planet a little more beautiful, every day.
ECOS® 2X Hypoallergenic Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 2X ultra concentrated detergent is tough on dirt yet kind to clothes
- Made in USA without dyes, optical brighteners, parabens, phosphates or phthalates
- Dermatologist-tested hypoallergenic; pH-balanced
- Built-in fabric softener reduces static cling & saves money
- Made with plant-powered ingredients & Magnolia & Lily essential oil
Tru Earth Eco-friendly Ultra Concentrated Compostable & Biodegradable Plastic-Free Laundry Detergent Eco-Strips
- GENTLE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN – Not only are Tru Earth Eco-Strips incredibly convenient, we pride ourselves on safety and health. Tru Earth Eco-Strips are vegan friendly and paraben-free and are gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin.
- 94% LESS TRANSPORTATION POLLUTION – Tru Earth’s zero waste, compostable, and plastic-free packaging reduces transportation fuel consumption and global-warming carbon emissions by 94% compared to today’s leading-brand liquid and powder detergent.
- NO MEASURING, NO MESS – Let’s face it. Traditional laundry detergent is messy, and wastes so much space. Measuring out detergent almost always results in spillage. With Tru Earth eco laundry strips, 1 strip equals 1 load. No measuring and nothing to spill.
- UNCOMPROMISING CLEANING POWER – Each Tru Earth laundry detergent strip weighs just 3g, and packs the same power as 40g of premium liquid or powdered detergents: removing the toughest stains, reveals vibrant colours, and restores radiant whites.
- NO MORE WASTED SPACE – Tru Earth Eco-strips save your space with our ultra-efficient compact packaging. 400 loads worth of Tru Earth Eco-Strips takes up the same space as a single 100 load jug of traditional detergent.
Planet Ultra Powdered Laundry Detergent
- Works in both standard and high-efficiency (HE) washers
- Hypoallergenic – SUITABLE FOR people with chemical sensitivities and babies
- Free & Clear formula – no added fragrances, dyes or synthetic preservatives
- Certified biodegradable; ingredients from plant-based sources
- Not tested on animals, Leaping Bunny approved
Method Concentrated Laundry Detergent, Lavender + Cypress
- Contains (1) 53.5 ounce bottle of concentrated, high efficiency laundry detergent
- Naturally derived, 4x concentrated laundry soap.
- Keeps colors bright and whites white.
- Concentrated formula delivers mighty cleaning power for he and standard washers.
- Plant based, biodegradable and hypoallergenic formula fights tough dirt and stains.
Nature Clean Laundry Liquid Detergent, Lemon Verbena, Sensitive Skin Tested
- Cruelty-free and Vegan(Peta certified)
- 100% USDA Certified Biobased
- Made without synthetic perfumes and dyes
- Made without petroleum ingredients, phosphates, enzymes
- Dermatologist tested, safe for sensitive skin
ATTITUDE Liquid Laundry Detergent
- ✔️ NON-TOXIC LAUNDRY DETERGENT THAT WORKS: Made in Canada with clean ingredients like green tea extract, our natural laundry detergent will keep your clothes smelling fresh and clean thanks to its advanced deodorizing formula
- ✔️FREE OF HARSH CHEMICALS: A plant and mineral-based formula in compliance with EWG recommendations for healthy cleaning, our formula is free of Enzymes, Phosphate, SLS, SLES, Phenoxyethanol, Formaldehyde, Parabens & MIT
- ✔️HE LIQUID LAUNDRY DETERGENT: Naturally scented with a comforting wildflower aroma, our laundry detergent can be used in both HE (High Efficiency) and standard washing machines
- ✔️LAUNDRY DETERGENT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN : We know that laundry detergents can be a source of skin irritations and allergies, that’s why our hypoallergenic laundry detergent is dermatologist tested and is free of irritating enzymes, dyes and artifical fragrances
- ✔️ECO-FRIENDLY LAUNDRY DETERGENT: Our sustainable and biodegradable laundry detergent is ECOLOGO Certified, PETA Certified, proudly vegan and cruelty-free
In putting together this list, which is not not complete but a good start of options, I have come across recipes for making for making your own vegan laundry detergent.
I think that is where I’m heading next in my journey of vegan, zero waste and saving money, making my own laundry detergent.
I’ll post the recipe soon.